Sicilian Greek Red-Figure Pyxis
An ancient Sicilian Greek red-figure pyxis of the Etna Group, with a knob handled lid decorated with an ivy leaf band, the body with lateral handles painted on each side with large profile female heads
The pyxis was a lidded cylindrical vessel mostly used by women to hold cosmetics, trinkets or jewelry. Surviving pyxides from the Classical Period are mostly ceramic, but sometimes they are made of wood, metal, or ivory. The name derived from Corinthian boxes made of wood from the boxwood tree (puxos).
Formerly in the S. B. collection, inherited from Captain Wendell Phillips who acquired it during the Allied liberation of Sicily in 1943.